4. I understand that implant success is dependent upon a number of variables including , but not limited to: individual patient tolerance and health, anatomical variations, my home care of the implant, and habits such as grinding my teeth. I also understand that implants are available in a variety of designs and materials and choice of implant is determined in the professional judgement of my dentist.
5. I have further been informed of the foreseeable risks and complications of implant surgery, anesthesia and related drugs including, but not limited to: failure of the implants(s), inflammation, swelling, infection, discoloration, numbness (exact extent and duration unknown), inflammation of blood vessels, injury to existing teeth, bone fractures, sinus penetration, delayed healing or allergic reaction to the drugs or medications used. No one has made any promises or given me any guarantees about the outcome of this treatment or these procedures. I understand that any of these complications could occur even when all dental procedures are properly performed.
6. I have been advised that smoking and/or drinking alcohol may affect tissue healing and may limit the success of the implant. Because there is no wat to accurately predict the gum and the bone heal capabilities of each patient, I know I must follow my dentist’s home care instructions and report to my dentist for regular examinations as instructed. I further understand that excellent home care, including brushing, flossing, and the use of any other device recommended by my dentist, is critical to the success of my treatment and my failure to do what I and suppose to do at home will more than likely contribute to the failure of the implants.
7. I have also been advised that there is a minimal risk that the implant may break, which may require additional procedures to repair or replace the broken implant.
8. I authorize my dentist to perform dental services for me, including implants and other related surgery such as bone augmentation. I agree to the type of anesthesia that was discussed with me and the potential side effects: local, IV sedation, or general anesthesia. I agree not to operate a motor vehicle or hazardous device(s) for at least 24hrs or until fully recovered from the effects of the anesthesia or drugs given for my care. My dentist has also discussed the various kinds of types of bone augmentation material, and I have authorized him/her to select the material that he/she believes to be the best choice for my implant treatment.