Thank you for your interest in receiving counseling services at JFS Desert, choosing to work with our clinicians on your behavioral health goals. It’s important that you understand the following points:
1. JFS Desert is a non-sectarian, nonprofit organization that will be providing you or your family members with professional clinical counseling.
2. Receipt of JFS Desert counseling services is confidential, and your identity will be protected by the agency.
3. To facilitate the sharing of medical information with your physician (and anyone else of your choosing), you will be asked to sign a Release of Information form.
4. JFS Desert staff does not prescribe medication of any kind.
5. Although JFS therapists can diagnose various mental health disorders, including ADHD, JFS therapists do not do psychological or psychiatric evaluations for educational, program placement, or medication management purposes.
6. JFS Desert is not affiliated with the court system; however, JFS may provide mental health services to court-ordered clients. Please note that JFS is not “court-ordered” to provide those services.
7. JFS provides individual, family, and/or group therapy. “Couples” therapy is not currently provided. JFS reserves the right to review individual requests for couples therapy but is under no obligation to provide it.
8. All parents of minor clients must be available for the entire initial session (in-person or via Telecare), and a parent or guardian must be in the JFS lobby while minor clients are being provided in-person services.
9. During your assessment and throughout your treatment, you will be asked to complete a screening tool. A screening tool is a brief questionnaire to check your mood. The answers provide helpful clinical information and are used to authorize additional sessions.
10. If a client presents with suicidal or homicidal thoughts, that client may be seen on a weekly basis for a brief period. Once stable, that client may be scheduled every other week.
11. JFS provides an after-hours answering service but not a therapist on-call. During a mental health emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. Messages received after hours are returned on the next business day.
12. JFS does not offer standing scheduled appointments. Clients are encouraged to keep 2 appointments scheduled at any one time.
13. Your professional clinician is trained to help you learn to cope differently, communicate differently, or manage your emotions more efficiently. The development of a therapeutic relationship will begin to form at your first session. This can take several sessions to truly develop. This is true for individuals, children, couples, and seniors. Should you discover you are not comfortable with your clinician and wish to make a change in providers, please discuss this with your clinician. Your current clinician will be happy to assist with a change of clinicians.
14. JFS case managers assist clients to get connected to available benefits such as Calfresh, Section 8 housing vouchers, and United Lift applications while also offering emergency financial assistance for necessities such as overdue rent and utilities, food, and medications. Please ask your therapist or any JFS staff person about connecting to a JFS case manager.
Should you have any subsequent questions, please feel free to ask your clinician, and again... welcome to JFS Desert.