CLIENT PRE PEEL CARE INSTRUCTIONS
• Discontinue use of Retin-A, Renova, Adapalene, Hydroxyl Acid, Differin Gel, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic Acid, or Retinol/Vitamin A derivative product for at least one week prior to your peeling.
• If you are being treated for pigmentation, your skincare provider will provide a pigment inhibitor to be used twice a day 2 weeks prior to treatment.
• Avoid tanning and extreme sun exposure for at least 2 weeks prior to your peel.
• You will not be treated if you have an infection or severe cold/flu OR are taking an antibiotic.
• You cannot have the peel treatment if you have used Accutane or its derivatives within the last 6 to 12 months.
• You cannot have the peel if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, have active cancer or are currently undergoing chemotherapy or radiation.
• You cannot have the peel treatment if you have active herpes. If an antiviral medication has been prescribed for you, you must begin taking the first dose Two (2) days prior to your appointment.
• You will be at the skincare studio for approximately two to two and a half hours on the first day of your treatment and for approximately two hours on the second day.
• If you are taking any medications that make you drowsy, you must arrange to have a responsible adult drive you home.
• Please ensure that you have adequate sun protection in the form of a hat and scarf to be utilized directly after treatment.
• Do not wear contact lenses to your appointment. Hearing aids will have to be removed during the treatment.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING PEEL - INSTRUCTIONS
The Skin Renewal Peeling Treatment will help the skin become softer, moister and will permit the easy removal of blackheads and grease from clogged pores and will enable the skin to function better.
The First Day
Immediately after the first application of the Skin Renewal cream or paste, the skin will be normal aside from redness which is like strong sunburn. This cream/paste is harmless to the hair and therefore will not affect the eyebrows. If the cream/paste accidentally gets into the eyes, there is no danger. The eyes can be washed out with plain water. Of course the cream/paste as with any foreign body in the eye will be unpleasant.
You cannot wash, cleanse or wet your face, neck or any area to which the peeling has been applied for the duration of the peeling process 6 days - 7 days. During this period, refrain from using such products as hair dye, hair spray or make up. No other product may be used on the treated areas except the special lubricating “Soothing Cream” or substituted ointment which will be provided to you. The Soothing Cream, or ointment, is to be used on and around the areas on which you have had the Skin Renewal treatment.
The Second Day
There is a second application of the Skin Renewal peeling cream. The skin will start to darken and will gradually take on a deep sun tanned appearance.
The Third to the Sixth Day
By noon on the third day, the skin will become very dark, swell and wrinkle on the surface. You will experience a tight pulling sensation over the entire treated area. This will be the most unpleasant day of the treatment. Your face will not hurt, but because of the tightness, you will find difficulty eating, talking, laughing and moving the face. Drinking using a straw is sometimes helpful. Avoid sunglasses pressing down on the sides of the nose if at all possible. Do not be afraid to move your facial muscles gently. At the end of the third and fourth days, the skin will start to peel and will continue for a maximum of three days. The process will begin around the mouth and eyes. The last area to clear will be the cheeks and forehead. The neck will take a little longer. DO NOT PULL OFF THE SKIN.
Keep applying the Cream or ointment by patting gently so as not to rub the skin off prematurely. If you feel the slightest unpleasant sensation on your face or neck as you do this, it means that the piece of skin is not ready to come off and should be left in place. Pulling the skin off before it is completely ready will lead to skin irritation, post inflammatory pigmentation, blotches and the clearing of impurities will not be as successful.
At Home Care
The Cream or Ointment should be applied at home continually until the treatment is completed which is approximately six days after the first application. The application of the Cream or Ointment should start straight after the first application of the peel. Keep the skin continually covered with this cream/ointment, reapplying whenever it has penetrated the skin. This will keep the skin soft and moist and ensure the easy removal of the top dead cell layers.
During the treatment you may go out, but you MUST protect yourself from exposure to the sun. Wear a large hat out of doors, sunglasses and a silk or light cotton scarf to protect your neck. Take particular caution whilst driving in a car. The sun is intensified through glass, so protect the sides of your face as well as your neck, with a scarf. Limit time spend outside to the cooler part of the day. During the winter, protect your face from the cold and wind with a light woolen scarf across your cheeks.
The Skin Renewal treatment is completely harmless, however the unpleasant aspects of the treatment are:
1. For about 20 to 30 minutes after the application of the Skin Renewal treatment cream, you will feel a stinging sensation which disappears slowly giving way to a new numb-likesensation. The use of a fan will ease the stinging.
2. The ugly skin appearance with dark and light patches of uneven coloring during the process will disappear as the top dead cell layers are removed.
3. Allergy. An allergic reaction to the Skin renewal treatment can occur with redness and swelling of the face and eyelids along with itching. Should this happen, call Sabrina immediately. There is absolutely no need to panic. The allergy is localized and temporary and is easily dealt with by the use of anti histamines.
4. If pimples are already present on the skin, an increased breakout maybe expected. This is because the Skin Renewal treatment will help to bring to the surface the hidden infection and impurities in order to facilitate their removal.
5. The delicate skin around the eyes will take a little longer to peel away so for about two weeks, the skin around the eyes appears very dry.
6. In the darker skin, the color normalization will take a little longer than in fair skin.
• Drink lots of fluids, especially the first two days. Try to drink 8 to 10 glasses a day. (preferably water and fruit juice)
• Avoid alcohol during this period.
• Sleep on extra pillows as upright as possible to preclude excess facial swelling.
• Post treatment discomfort may be relieved by over the counter pain medication such as Tylenol.
• Oral antihistamine such as Benadryl may help with itching, but is sedating so do not drive whilst taking antihistamines.
• Try to rest as much as you can.
• From the moment your face begins to peel, DO NOT expose your new skin to the sun, wind and cold.
• If it is absolutely necessary to expose your skin to these elements, be sure to protect the new skin with a sun screen cream obtainable from us.
• Do not exercise profusely. Perspiration could irritate the skin. Avoid excess heat, steam or extreme cold.
YOU MUST PROTECT YOUR SKIN FROM EXPOSURE TO ULTRA VIOLET LIGHT AND THE SUN FOR AT LEAST THREE MONTHS POST THE SKIN RENEWAL PEELING TREATMENT.