Your reason for entering consultation directs the type of consultation activities. As you develop, you may choose to change the focus of consultation. As soon as you decide to make changes in your focus, please let me know and we will discuss the change in activities or requirements at that time.
I am an Institute for Creative Mindfulness Consultant and EMDRIA-approved EMDR Consultant. This means that I am able to provide consultation towards basic training, certification, and consultant in training/consultant status.
KEY TERMS AND DEFINITIONS
The person providing the consultation. For the purposes of this document, the term consultant may refer to either an Approved Consultant or Consultant in Training.
The person receiving the consultation.
CONSULTANT IN TRAINING (CIT)
A Consultant in Training is an EMDRIA Certified Therapist who has completed the CIT declaration process, upholds the terms and agreements and is actively working towards becoming an Approved Consultant. The CIT is expected to work with at least five different consultees, three of whom have already completed the EMDR basic training. The CIT can provide a maximum of 15 hours of consultation to any one single consultee who is working towards EMDRIA Certification.
Consultation is a collaborative relationship between mental health clinicians in which the consultant reviews the consultee’s EMDR client case material and provides feedback to the consultee regarding their use of standard EMDR
therapy with clients. The consultation is expected to be consultee-centered which means the focus is on the skills and knowledge of the consultee’s use of standard EMDR therapy with clients. The consultation should be structured in
format and consultees are expected to provide examples of their clinical work as part of the consultation process. This may include video recordings, audio recordings, near-verbatim transcripts, and/or EMDR case presentation forms. The consultant is expected to review and evaluate the consultee’s work as part of the consultation process.
- EMDR basic training consultation – The EMDR basic training consultation hours are focused on the implementation and initial application of standard EMDR therapy and the AIP model in working with actual client cases.
- EMDRIA Certification consultation – The certification consultation hours are focused on demonstrating proficiency and fidelity to the standard EMDR therapy and also demonstrating an awareness of situations in which modifications to standard EMDR therapy are necessary in order to safely and effectively treat the client.
Note: Consultation is not equivalent to clinical supervision. Hours accrued toward EMDRIA Certification are not recommended to co-occur with supervision (for licensure). Consultation is also not equivalent to the provision of psychotherapy services, which poses an ethical issue of a dual relationship.
Consultation-of-consultation is a collaborative relationship between mental health clinicians in which a consultant provides feedback and guidance to a Consultant in Training (CIT). The feedback is focused on the CIT’s skills and ability to provide consultation to other clinicians based on material presented by the CIT, direct observation, or recorded observation. The consultation-of-consultation should be structured in format and the CIT is expected to provide
examples of their ability to provide consultation to others. The CIT is expected to work with at least five different consultees, three of whom have already completed the EMDR basic training.
The consultant is expected to review, evaluate and determine the readiness of the CIT as part of the process. Although co-leading consultation groups and shadowing (which is defined as being present while a consultant provides
consultation) are significant and valuable for the CIT process, these activities themselves do not directly count as consultation-of-consultation hours. (In other words, consultation-of-consultation does not occur during the training
Note: Only Approved Consultants can provide consultation-of-consultation to Consultants in Training.
Individual consultation includes a total of two individuals, the consultant and the consultee (1:1). Individual consultation hours can be accrued in a group setting under certain conditions (see group consultation below).
Group consultation includes at least two consultees in a formalized setting which is led by a consultant in a structured group format. All consultees in the group are expected to participate and be prepared to bring their own EMDR case
presentation material content for discussion. As a general guideline, groups should allow a ratio of 15 minutes per individual participant.
Consultation vs Supervision
Consultation is not supervision. Consultation focuses on the mastery of standard EMDR therapy and integrating EMDR into your practice. You are responsible for the therapeutic relationship with your clients and competency in the modalities you offer. As a consultant, I do not hold liability for how you practice. If you are seeking consultation toward EMDRIA Certification, I will be evaluating your proficiency and fidelity to the standard EMDR therapy and your awareness of situations in which modifications to standard EMDR therapy are necessary in order to safely and effectively treat the client.
Please visit ICM's website for more information about ICM, additional requirements of ICM trainees, and to find consultants with specified https://www.instituteforcreativemindfulness.com/consultation/
Please visit EMDRIA at www.emdria.org for further information on these requirements towards basic training, certification, and becoming a consultant.
What the Consultee can expect of Consultant
1. EMDRIA currently requires a minimum of 20 hours of consultation (at least 10 hours must be individual consultation) to apply for EMDRIA Certification. I require work samples of all 8 Phases and 3 Prongs of the standard EMDR therapy, and evidence of correcting any concerns prior to writing a recommendation letter for EMDRIA Certification.
If you use more than one Approved Consultant in your journey toward EMDRIA Certification, I require a minimum of 5 hours of individual consultation prior to writing a recommendation letter for you to submit for EMDRIA
2. I encourage you to seek consultation from other consultants if they have a specialty area that fits your needs.
Please notify me if additional consultants are utilized for hours towards EMDRIA Certification. The guidance provided to you will be enhanced if you grant both consultants permission to speak to each other.
3. I will document and track our time spent in consultation. I will retain documentation of our consultation together for a five-year period from the date our work together concludes. I will write a letter of recommendation or written verification if you have acquired the skills and knowledge base to be Certified and demonstrate this. If the skills and knowledge have not been demonstrated, I can provide written documentation of the time spent in consultation, the skills and knowledge acquired and the areas still needing improvement. We will discuss issues as they arise especially if you are having difficulty.
4. I will keep abreast of current trends and changes happening with EMDR and trauma treatment. I will provide consultees with new information and accommodate your needs as long as it stays within the scope of my knowledge. I will refer you to other consultants if your needs are beyond my scope.
5. We will schedule our individual appointments as schedules permit. The suggested frequency is 1-2 hours per month.
6. I will make efforts to provide a safe and supportive learning environment. Any concerns about this, when shared with me, will be addressed with you in private.
What is expected of Consultee
1. You are expected to come prepared to present case material, complete with notes on that case.
2. Do not include any information that will identify the case you are presenting on materials you share with me.
3. You are expected to practice within the ethical guidelines of both your license and professional associations.
EMDRIA states that if there is no professional association, then the APA’s code of ethics will be the standard for all EMDRIA members. It is your responsibility to stay current on both the laws and ethics applicable to them.
For EMDRIA Certification
• Examples of your clinical work are essential to the consultation process. You will need to come prepared with near verbatim transcripts or (if you prefer) video or audio recordings of your client sessions. You will need to obtain the necessary releases from clients. The verbatim/video/audio must include your words and interventions.
• You will need to demonstrate proficiency and fidelity to the standard EMDR therapy and also an awareness of situations in which modifications to standard EMDR therapy are necessary in order to safely and effectively treat the client. This may include reading and training outside of consultation.
Consultation vs Supervision
Consultation is not supervision. Consultation focuses on mastery of standard EMDR therapy and integrating EMDR into your practice. You are responsible for the therapeutic relationship with your clients and competency in the modalities you offer. As a consultant, I do not hold liability for how you practice. If you are seeking consultation toward EMDRIA Certification, I will be evaluating your proficiency and fidelity to the standard EMDR therapy and your awareness of situations in which modifications to standard EMDR therapy are necessary in order to safely and effectively treat the client.
If you are seeking consultation-of-consultation toward becoming an EMDRIA Approved Consultant, I will be not be able to provide this service until I'm an approved consultant (estimated June 2022). If in the future we are working towards your consultant status, I will be evaluating your skills and progress in both knowledges of EMDR therapy terms and protocols, and your abilities as a consultant.
Consultation does not substitute for foundational psychotherapy skills. Should concerns in this area become evident, I may require that these concerns be remedied prior to writing a recommendation for Certification.
$60/2 hour group EMDR Consultation (limit 8 participants)
$65/hour for individual EMDR consultation toward basic training or certification for non-profit-only therapists/non-private or group practice therapists. *This option is only available if you ONLY work in a non-profit setting.
$85/hour for individual EMDR consultation toward basic training or certification
$100/hour for individual CIT (consultant in training) consultation-of-consultation
I have a 24-hour cancellation policy. If you "no-show" or cancel less than 24 hours from our scheduled consultation, you will be charged 50 percent of the fee.
As with my clients, I require a card to be saved on file for my consultees for consultation and late cancellation fees. Upon your first consultation, you will be sent a Square invoice and will ask that you save a card on file.