Working together, we can help you preserve your new smile. Please understand that teeth make adaptive changes to function of the tongue, lips and supporting structures. Additionally, teeth have a “memory” and often try to move back to their original positions. Expect that even with perfect retainer wear the teeth will not stay exactly where we placed them. This readjustment is not a failure of correction, but a natural change that we have learned to accept.
You will need to wear the retainers as instructed to maintain as much of the correction as possible. About 90-95% of your correction can usually be retained. As part of your treatment we will supervise the first year of your retainer wear free of charge.
- Feels comfortable, no poking/rough areas
- Placement: Ensure the retainers are fully seated
- Removal: Remove them from the back to the front; start in the back on one side and walk around.
- FIRST 6 WEEKS: -Full-time wear (retainers should be worn 24/7)
- AFTER 6 WEEKS: -Night-time wear for the rest of your life.
***However, if the retainers feel tight then wear them more (tightly fitting retainers usually mean that your teeth are trying to shift)
*** IF THE RETAINERS ARE NOT WORN AS DIRECTED, THE TEETH WILL SHIFT!!!
*** It will be the patient’s responsibility to replace ill-fitting retainers that were not picked-up at the office as advised (the next day unless stated otherwise)
- Retainers are made from plastic so they will wear down over time. The time it takes for the retainers to wear down varies from patient-to-patient and depends upon many factors, including patient-specific habits.
- Retainers should be placed in your case when they are not in your mouth (pets love to eat them and they can be thrown away easily if they are not in their case).
- Retainers should not be placed into or around anything that is hot (i.e. in hot water or in direct sunlight), this can cause the retainers to distort and not fit properly.
- Clean your retainers daily with denture cleaner tablets. (Do not clean your retainers with toothpaste or soak in Listerine as this may cause your retainers to become cloudy & can also create scratches on them.)
- Please contact our office if you have any questions/concerns regarding your retainers and/or if you break or lose your retainers.
IN-HOUSE RETAINER PROGRAM (Included In Every Treatment Plan)
- 3D Scan of Teeth
- 3D Printed Models of Both Upper and Lower Teeth
- 1 set of retainers (1 upper retainers and 1 lower retainers)
EXTENDED RETAINER PROGRAM ($695 Enrollment Fee)
- 3D Scan of Teeth
- 1 set of 3D Printed Models of Both Upper and Lower Teeth
- 4 set of retainers (4 upper retainers and 4 lower retainers)
- $125 per replacement retainer with 3D printed model provided to Krieger Orthodontics by patient/parent.
- $250 per replacement retainer without 3D printed model.
- PROGRAM IS NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE.
*** Bonded retainer(s) (If Applicable) will be repaired at no charge if/when it breaks for the 1st time. If the bonded retainer(s) breaks after the 1st repair, the following fees, and conditions may apply: $40 per pad repair fee, $280 for complete replacement of bonded retainer OR remove retainer(s), and switch to clear retainers.