A. Bus Routes
Schedules and routes will be set at the time of enrollment. Any student wishing bus service should indicate this at the time of enrollment. If you are new to the district and wish transportation, notify the USD 509 office at 892-5216.
B. Extra-Curricular Activity Transportation
Students participating in school-sponsored extra-curricular activities outside U.S.D. 509 boundaries will be required to utilize school transportation to and from those activities. Students may, however, ride home from school-sponsored activities with their parents, provided a parent personally makes such arrangements with an appropriate school official prior to the event. Parents are responsible for transportation to and from in- district activities. Students will not be allowed to ride home with parents of another student unless arrangements are made with the building principal in writing prior to the student leaving for the activity.
C. State School Bus Regulations
1. The requirements of the regulation shall apply to all passengers when transported in a school bus or school activity bus.
2. The bus driver shall be in charge of all passengers while they are riding, loading, or unloading the bus.
3. The bus driver shall have the authority to assign a seat to each student passenger.
4. Students shall not stand in the traveled portion of a roadway while waiting for a bus.
5. Students shall not extend any part of their body out of bus windows.
6. Students shall not get on or off the bus while the bus is moving.
7. Smoking, chewing, or any use of tobacco, including electronic cigarettes, inside a bus shall be prohibited.
8. Intoxicating liquor or alcohol or illegal drugs shall not be consumed or carried in a bus.
9. Animals (pets) shall not be transported in a bus, unless it is a working service animal.
10. No weapons of any type, except side arms carried by a law enforcement officer, shall be transported on a bus.
Regulations (USD 509)
1. The bus driver is in charge of the pupils and the bus. In the case of an activity bus, the sponsor also has authority. Students are to obey the directions of the sponsor and/or the bus driver at all times.
2. Students must be on time; the bus cannot wait for those who are tardy. Student behavior at any bus stop is expected to be the same as while riding the bus.
3. Students are to wait for the bus off the traveled roadway. Students should walk facing the traffic when approaching the bus stop.
4. Unnecessary conversation with the bus driver is prohibited. Outside of ordinary conversation, classroom conduct is to be observed. Fighting, obscenities, or vulgarities in speech or actions bothering other riders or the bus driver is prohibited.
5. Students shall not throw waste paper or other rubbish on the floor or out the window of the bus. Help keep your bus clean and sanitary at all times. Trash boxes are available in the front or back of every bus. Upon return, sponsors will see that students clean up the bus before unloading.
6. Damaging the bus is prohibited. Any damage to the bus is to be reported at once to the bus driver.
7. Students shall not disembark from the bus at any point other than their residence or designated drop- off point unless prior approval with the school office has been made. The office will notify the bus driver of any change.
8. Students will stay seated in the bus seat throughout the duration of the trip.
9. Aisles are to be kept clear at all times.
10. Entering and exiting the bus through the emergency door is prohibited by law except in an actual emergency situation.
11. The use of the emergency door requires permission from the driver or sponsor.
12. Use the restroom before departure.
13. Parents or rides home must arrange to pick you up no later than 10 minutes after the bus returns to South Haven Schools.
14. Persons may ride home from an activity with a parent only if the parent or guardian has a signed permission form on file in the high school office.
15. Misconduct of any kind will warrant corrective action and deprive the student of future activity trips.
16. Only authorized persons may enter the bus.
17. Everyone will sit facing forward.
18. Notice: Students and parents should note that the school district may deny riding privileges to any student who violates state regulations or school district rules relating to bus conduct.