Please read all the information listed below. We ask that you read it in its entirety and contact us if you have any questions or concerns. After reading the surgery procedures please proceed to the Surgery Consent Form and fill it out in its entirety, complete with a signature and the phone number of the authorized agent.
Our pre-surgical exams are performed prior to your pet’s scheduled surgery date. At this appointment an exam of your pet is done, requirements for surgery are updated and a comprehensive blood work profile is completed. Once the pre-surgical exam is complete, your pet’s surgery is scheduled within the next 30 days.
- Ear to tail exam addressing any concerns you may have as well as recommendations by our veterinarian
Requirements for Surgery:
- Rabies vaccination
- DAPP (Distemper vaccination)
- Bordetella Vaccination
- Heartworm Test - Negative result (pet’s over 1 year of age)
Comprehensive Blood Work Profile:
- Blood work is drawn and sent out to our lab for testing looking for any levels that may affect the safety of anesthesia or health of the pet.
This blood work panel is valid for 30 days.
Evening Prior to Surgery:
Fasting (withholding food) – Your pet will need to be fasted the night before surgery to ensure an empty stomach. This is important for surgery safety.
Please remove and do not give any food (including treats) no later than 11:00 pm
Please do not give any food or treats the morning of the procedure
Water is OK to give through the night and into the next morning.
Morning of Surgery:
Check-In - Times for Surgery Check -In are between 8:00am and 9:00am Monday – Friday.
A time will be reserved for your pet upon scheduling the surgery.
Please arrive at the practice during your scheduled Check -In time
Please make sure when bringing in your pet he/she is restrained either by a leash or in a secure carrier
Expect to spend 5-10 minutes during check-in as the staff will complete the following:
- Review of the signed surgical consent form
- Verification of your emergency contact number
- Current weight check of your pet
- Addressing any questions or concerns you may have
After Check-In is complete your pet will be made comfortable until their scheduled surgery time.
Post-Op Phone Call:
After surgery, as your pet is in recovery, our surgery assistant will call with an update on your pet. These calls normally occur between 1pm - 3pm.
At this time, your discharge time will be confirmed and any questions you have may be answered.
All surgery discharges occur between the hours of 4:30pm - 5:30pm unless otherwise directed by our veterinarian. A discharge time is scheduled for your pet at the time of check-in.
Please arrive at the practice during your scheduled Discharge time
Expect to spend 10-15 minutes during discharge as the staff will complete the following:
- Invoicing and payment of services
- Home Care instructions - explained by one of our assistants.
- Release of your pet