Lost&Found will consider all applications regardless of applicant's race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, and economic status.
Guidelines for financial assistance:
- Financial support will be provided to approved applicants no more than one year following the loss of a family member or loved one by suicide.
- All approved funds must be paid directly to a company or organization providing support to the impacted individual/family seeking support.
- Applicants must reside in SD, MN, IA with preference given to SD residents.
- Qualifying expenses include funeral expenses, burial expenses, grief counseling, legal fees, or expenses deemed necessary by Lost&Found Advisory Committee.
- Either the applicant, funeral home, or local coroner must verify cause of death prior to the distribution of funds.
Lost&Found's mission is to provide comprehensive suicide prevention and postvention services for youth and young adults (ages 10-34) and their support networks. Preference will be given to applications to support these groups where possible.
Assistance amounts are determined on a case-by-case basis by the SJ4H Advisory Committee for approval and assistance amounts (within service area/majority, beyond service area/unanimous). Maximum assistance is $2,500 per family unless circumstances dictate otherwise. Lost&Found considers income levels relative to area median gross income (AMGI), as well as financial stressors, to maximize the impact of the SJ4H Financial Assistance Program.