Patient response can vary after a BBL 420 nm Acne treatment. Erythema (redness) is usually noted within a few minutes after the completion of the procedure. A slight sun burn sensation in and around the area treated is also normal and expected. These reactions tend to subside within 1-4 hours after the treatment.
The treated area must be treated with care. BE GENTLE! Do not scratch or pick at your skin.
• Until sensitivity has completely subsided, avoid all of the following:
– Use of scented lotions or soaps, exfoliant creams (Retin-A, glycolic/salicylic and alpha- hydroxy acids), acne creams or gels, loofa sponges and aggressive scrubbing
– Hot or cold water – wash with tepid water
– Swimming pools and spas with multiple chemicals/chlorine
– Activities that cause excessive perspiration
• A cold compress or an ice pack can be used to provide comfort if the treated area is especially warm. This is rarely needed but if so, usually within the first 4 hours after the treatment.
• Makeup can be applied immediately after treatment as long as skin is intact and there are no signs of blistering.
• Vitamin E or Aloe Vera applied to the treatment area may provide a soothing effect.
• Post treatment discomfort is typically minimal but if the area is very uncomfortable, oral pain relievers; i.e. Extra Strength Tylenol or Advil, may be used.
• If the skin is broken or a blister appears, apply an antibiotic ointment and contact the office immediately. Keep the affected area moist and avoid direct sunlight.
• Strictly avoid any sun exposure to the treated area for a minimum of 7 – 14 days after the procedure. The treated area is more prone to sunburn and pigmentation change. Keep the area covered and use a sun block with a protection factor of 30+ reapplying the sun block every two hours. Delayed blistering secondary to sun exposure has been noted up to 72 hours post treatment.
• Subsequent treatments are based upon your clinician’s recommendation and are typically 1- 2 treatments per week for at least 4 weeks or until acne clears. The number and frequency of treatments required will depend on the severity of your acne and how well it responds to treatment.
• Clinical studies suggest that at least two BBL 420 nm acne treatments are needed to begin to see results and results have been reported to last up to 6 months.
Notify Halo Med Spa if you have any questions or concerns at 505-433-4043!